2019/11/03 – Commander of the US Africa Command (AFRICOM), Thomas Waldhauser said that the US Department of Defence plan, to reduce the number of US troops in Africa, will have no impact on the air strikes in Libya.
In his briefing before the US Congress, Waldhauser said that the first phase of the reduction plan requires the withdrawal of about 300 US troops from the African continent by June 2020, which represents 10% of the US forces in Africa.
The Libya Observer
Sahel-Elite |Photo: Commander of the US Africa Command (AFRICOM), Thomas Waldhauser
2019/03/07 – The Russian Foreign Ministry denied the presence of Russian fighters in Benghazi to support the Dignity Operation forces led by Khalifa Hafter.
The ministry said in a statement that it has no information regarding activities of Russian watchdogs in Libya, according to Sputnik.
British newspaper The Telegraph reported on Sunday that around 300 Russian mercenaries belonging to the private military company Wagner Group are present and active in Benghazi on the side of Hafter’s forces.
According to the report, the company had provided Hafter with arms, including artillery, tanks, and drones.
The Libya Observer / Sahel-Elite
2019/03/07 – Trudeau is accused of pressuring his attorney general to interfere in criminal case of a company over possible political concerns.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is embroiled in a major political scandal that’s already tarnished his progressive image and could derail his premiership ahead of the October federal election. Continuer à lire … « Libya – The major scandal engulfing Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, explained »
2019/03/06 – The Egyptian army on Tuesday conducted a major military exercise near the Libyan border.
The exercise was attended by Army Chief-of-Staff Mohamed Farid, according to an army statement.
The drills included tactical exercises simulating real-time combat scenarios.
Within recent years, the Egyptian army has foiled numerous attempts to smuggle weapons from neighboring Libya.
Mahmoud Barakat / Anadolu Agency
2019/03/06 – A contract was signed on Tuesday between the Libyan Ports and Maritime Transport Authority and the Turkish “Temel” Company following a bidding process between relevant companies to conduct the studies and designs needed for reconstructing the Corniche area within the framework of finding a solution to the old wrecked Corniche along Tripoli’s shoreline. Continuer à lire … « Libya/Turkey – Transport ministry signs contract with Turkish company to maintain Tripoli’s Corniche »
2019/02/25 – Libya’s state-run National Oil Corp refused to restart the country’s biggest field after militants seized and declared it secure earlier this month. The standoff over Sharara, which can pump about 300,000 bopd, is entering its third month. NOC won’t resume production while armed groups are there, the company’s chairman Mustafa Sanalla said on Sunday. The Libyan National Army, loyal to eastern leader Khalifa Haftar, controls the field and said it’s ready to restart. Continuer à lire … « Libya won’t restart largest field until militia leaves »
2019/02/25 – Arab League Secretary-General, Ahmed Abo El Gheit said that the situation in Libya is highly complex, attributing blame to the external interventions and the desire of internal and external parties to perpetuate the conflict.
Abo El Gheit emphasized in a statement on the sidelines of the Arab-European summit in Sharm El-Sheikh, the importance of the Quartet efforts, composed of the Arab League, the African Union, the European Union, and the United Nations, which is preparing to hold a meeting on the sidelines of the Arab summit in Tunisia, during March.
The Libyan Observer
Sahel-Elite |Photo: Arab League Secretary-General, Ahmed Abo El Gheit (Getty Images)